Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Christmas Jello

Every year, my mom made a layered Jello salad for Christmas. This is about the only time I eat Jello. (I know it's one of Utah's main staples, but I just get grossed out by it.) But, I do indulge at Christmas, and so this year made my own version. Here's the recipe:

First Layer
1 lg package lime Jello - make as directed on package, for bottom layer. Let set most of the way and then add second layer.

Second Layer
Blend one small container cottage cheese and one drained (set juice aside for later) can of crushed pineapple. Set aside.

Boil one cup of water - add one large packet of lemon Jello and dissolve. While still on heat (lowered), add 1/2 package miniature marshmallows and 1 eight ounce package cream cheese (I cut the cream cheese into small cubes). Stir and allow marshmallows and cream cheese to melt. Remove from heat, add pineapple juice and cottage cheese - pineapple mix. Spread over green layer. Let set most of the way before adding third layer.

Third Layer
Make one large package red Jello as directed on package. Add one package frozen raspberries and then pour over second layer. Let set and eat!

4 comments:

Dave and Lisa said...

Pretty! I don't eat much Jell-O, either, but I would have been happy to share this one with you. :-)

Kathy said...

I remember when every family get together included jello salads. Not that I ate them, I just remember. If I made yours, I would have to start out with different base layer. Lime jello makes my skin crawl. Those other 2 layers though... They look almost like a cheesecake.

Rebecca said...

They tasted almost like a cheesecake, too! I don't think lime jello is very happy, either, but it does go with the whole theme. I may have to substitute something else and color it green. :)

Mary said...

Oh that looks delicious.